Angus Rochford v Jens Rohrbeck (Sun 10 Apr 2022)
Match won by Angus Rochford. Result: 6-1.
Starting level for Angus Rochford
, level confidence: 26%.
Starting level for Jens Rohrbeck
, level confidence: 65%.
Angus Rochford to win as he is currently playing 34% better
than Jens Rohrbeck.
Angus Rochford won 86% of the points.
Assuming that any level changes are shared between both players, for this result it looks like Angus Rochford actually played at a level of 2,203
and Jens Rohrbeck at a level of 1,088
. Without any damping, both players would need to be adjusted by 23% to match this result.
Allowing for the difference in level between the players, the adjustments have been reduced to 19% and 16% respectively.
As this is a best of 1 match rather than best of 5, these adjustments have been reduced to 15% and 13% respectively.
Factoring in the relative levels of confidence which allows players with low confidence in their levels to change more quickly, the adjustment for Angus Rochford changes to +15% and Jens Rohrbeck changes to -5.4%.
After applying standard match damping, the adjustment for Angus Rochford becomes +7.1% and for Jens Rohrbeck becomes -3.7%.
Apply match/event weighting of 50% for 'Redland Boxes' so the adjustment for Angus Rochford is +3.6% and for Jens Rohrbeck is -1.9%.
As Angus Rochford has a provisional level, this match has been used to calibrate his level so Jens Rohrbeck's level has been left unchanged.
Increase level confidence due to one more match played. Angus Rochford: 51%, Jens Rohrbeck: 81%. Reduce level confidence based on how unexpected the result is. Angus Rochford: 42%, Jens Rohrbeck: 66%.
Final level for Angus Rochford: 1,859
, level confidence: 42%.
Final level for Jens Rohrbeck: 1,335
, level confidence: 66%.
- This calculation is done in two main parts; first work out the adjustment needed to match the results
and then apply damping. This means that levels should always be 'about right' but the time taken
to get there or the volatility is dependent on the damping.
- A level also has 'level confidence' which drops if players haven't played for a long time or have had
enexpected results. As low confidence levels adjust more quickly than high confidence levels, it allows
these players to find their level more quickly without impacting their opponent's level too much.
- Point scores are used as well as game scores for accuracy - particularly important for 3-0 results -
though we can work with game scores only too, albeit with more damping.
- Mismatched players are allowed for - you don't have to hammer your opponent. See explanation above
if this applies to this match.
- The section on damping is where we still have some options. We have recently made a change to damp
league matches more than tournament matches and box matches even more than that. This gives added
weight to the more important matches.
- There are occasional, very small adjustments made to all players to keep the averages constant which
are not covered here.
- You don't get a bonus just for winning - if you want to go up you have to play better
than expected against your opponent.
- We have spent more than 5 years fine tuning the level calculations based on tens of thousands of match results
and a great deal of feedback from players, team captains and coaches. It's the most usable and accurate
ranking system there is in any sport, let alone squash.
- For a more complete explanation of how levels are calculated (on which this system is based) see the help file
- If you have thoughts/opinions on the above or any feedback on the way levels are calculated or updated,
please contact us.
We welcome all feedback, although we are keen squash players ourselves and would pefer to be on-court than
in front of a screen so please be patient and please do try to see if your question has already been
answered on the help page. We are unable to
answer questions about hard anyone played in their match - we only get to see the results - and if your
level didn't increase as expected please make sure you've looked at the above explanation before
contacting us. If you want to go up the levels, train harder, listen to your coach and win more points.
Or just be incredibly talented!